Contact usSend a message
The ten countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are home to over 660 million people. Its combined GDP of more than USD 3 trillion places ASEAN as the fifth largest economy in the world and is projected to triple by 2040. ASEAN countries stand at a crossroads in their collective energy journey. Growth brings its challenges as they strive to supply energy affordably, sustainably and securely. ASEAN and its member states have started to explore ways in which they can scale up the use of renewable energy and decouple energy demand growth from economic growth. Over the past decade, renewable energy has played a growing role in the ASEAN energy system. Under Phase II of the ASEAN Plan of Action for Energy Cooperation (APAEC), covering 2021-2025, ASEAN is committed to working together to achieve a 23% renewable share in the total primary energy supply and a 35% share in the total installed capacity by 2025.
Supporting this strategy to scale up renewable energy deployment and advance the energy transition to a sustainable energy future, IRENA signed an agreement with ASEAN in 2018, on the sidelines of the 36th ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting (AMEM).
- Energy planning in the context of integrating high shares of renewables in the ASEAN energy mix.
- Assessments and roadmaps for accelerated renewable energy deployment, including updates to the ASEAN Renewable Energy Outlook.
- Activities are under way
- Knowledge sharing among regional policy makers to implement effective renewable energy policy and regulatory frameworks, and to capitalise on the social and economic benefits of scaled up renewables deployment.
- Support for the advancement of various renewable energy resources across ASEAN countries through detailed technology and innovation assessments and analysis of potential cost reductions.
- Support for the development and facilitation of bankable renewables projects through IRENA’s project facilitation platforms.
- Building capacity among policy makers, regulators, utilities and other key stakeholders in the region for renewable energy deployment through training and workshops.
16-19 January 2024 Nadi, Fiji
Pacific SIDS Project Finance Capacity Building Workshop