The Africa Renewable Energy Initiative (AREI) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) hosted a joint webinar to gather insights from relevant technical experts on how technology innovation and digitalization in the power system can shape a socially inclusive energy transition towards the achievement of the sustainable development goals and the Agenda 2063.
The discussion brought together African and non-African technical institutions, international organisations, the private sector and civil society.
Expected outcomes of webinar were to:
- Understand the key role of energy transition in Africa in the post-pandemic period towards sustainable development and improved resilience;
- Discuss the crucial role of innovation and particularly digitalization of energy systems in energy transition; and
- Identify strategic actions through renewables to stimulate energy transition and boost socio-economic development of the Continent in a sustainable and just manner.
The event took place on, and was structured as follows:
- Mr. Gurbuz Gonul, Director Country Engagement and partnerships, IRENA
- Ms. Safiatou Alzouma Nouhou, Director Independent Delivery Unit, AREI
- Mr. Francisco Boshell, Analyst RE Technology Standards and Markets, IRENA
Interventions from experts from African countries, regional organizations and development partners
- Mr. Daniel Schroth, Acting Director for Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency and Adviser to the Vice President Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Complex - AfDB
- Mr. Amine Idriss Adoum, Director of Programme Delivery and Regional Economic Integration, AUDA-NEPAD
- Mr. Michael Kiza, Programme Management Expert, EACREEE
- Mr. Jean Koutele, Economic Community for Central African States – ECCAS
- Mr. Federico Bonaglia, Deputy Director of the OECD Development Centre
- Mr. Bah Saho, Acting Executive Director, ECREEE
- Mr. Stefano Signore, Head of Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Unit, EU-DEVCO
- Dr. Maged K. Mahmoud, Acting Executive Director, RCREEE
- Mr. Kudakuwashe Ndhlukula, Executive Director, SACREEE
Questions and comments from the audience.