IRENA, in cooperation with the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the Caribbean Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (CCREEE), sought to improve the availability of reliable information about renewable energy in the Caribbean by providing training in renewable energy statistics.
The three-day training was aimed at national statisticians and government officials responsible for the collection of renewable energy data. Key topics that were covered included:
- the classification and structure of renewable energy statistics;
- the construction of energy balances;
- strategies and methods for renewable energy data collection;
- data validation, estimation and dissemination;
- calculation of greenhouse gas emissions;
- and target setting and monitoring.
Training sessions included a combination of technical lectures and practical exercises. In addition, participants had the opportunity to share their experience of renewable energy data collection in their respective countries to identify challenges and good practices.