Cleantech and Climate finance Team (BBH) and Natural Resources Canada hosted a webinar on Wednesday, July 15, from 9:00am to 10:15am (EDT) 17:00 (UAE), on Canada’s membership to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), exploring opportunities for cooperation between Canadian firms and the work of the Agency.
The session provided an overview of IRENA, Canada’s membership to IRENA, and presented new tools available to Canadian companies and Trade Commissioners, to help them develop impactful renewable energy projects on the global stage.
IRENA also provided an overview of their Risk Assessment and Mitigation Platform (RAMP) and their Climate Investment Platform (CIP). The RAMP is an IRENA initiative to ease risk mitigation for renewable energy projects. The CIP is an inclusive partnership between all kinds of stakeholders to scale up climate action and translate ambitious national climate targets into concrete investments on the ground.
In January 2019, Canada became the 160th IRENA member state. IRENA is an intergovernmental organisation that supports countries in their transition to a sustainable energy future, and serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a centre of excellence, and a repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy.
- Introductory remarks
- Marco Presutti (TBC), Director General, Electricity Resources Branch, NRCan
- Rosaline Kwan (TBC), Director General, Trade Sectors, Global Affairs Canada
- Key IRENA speaker
- Ahmed Badr, Acting Director, Project Facilitation & Support Division
- IRENA contributors:
- Jef Vincent, Programme Officer, Renewable Energy Finance, IRENA
- José Torón, Regional Programme Officer, Latin America and Caribbean, IRENA